Once demonized as an unhealthy saturated fat, coconut oil is now becoming one of our country’s newest superfood. It’s unique blend of fatty acids is showing promise with such health benefits as lowering cholesterol, promoting weight loss, and possibly aiding in the prevention of Alzheimers disease and other forms of dementia. (Alzheimers.net) In addition to its health benefits, coconut oil also has many wonderful uses.
I personally have used coconut oil for several years. For me, it was easy. I LOVE coconut. I love it flaked, in cookies, and in candy bars (hello Mounds). I regularly drink coconut water, and in the summer I love coconut sorbet when I can find it. (I know June is making a face while reading this as she’s not a fan) In addition to the wonderful health benefits to my heart and brain, I’ve discovered many other uses for coconut oil that I’d love to share with you.
1. One tablespoon of coconut oil emulsified in coffee. Make sure you have an immersion blender to mix it well, otherwise the oil will just sit on top of the coffee and it’s not very good.
2. I’ve started to move away from applying chemicals to my skin, and now solely use coconut oil after my shower. You don’t need much and it absorbs quickly, especially if your skin is a little dry.
3. I’ve discovered if your hair has some flyaways, particularly in the winter, just a dab of coconut oil rubbed between your palms then on your ends does a great job of keeping them tame.
4. In the winter my feet get really dry. Before bed I rub a little coconut oil on my feet and put on socks.
5. After I’ve been out in the sun, I spread a little coconut oil on my arms and legs. I don’t sunburn often, but it does give relief to a sunburn.
6. The natural properties of coconut oil also make it a good facial moisturizer. I only do this in the winter, when my skin is particularly dry.
7. Coconut oil makes a great makeup remover.
8. Massage oil for tired muscles.
9. My family makes popcorn the old fashion way, on the stove. We switched to coconut oil and our popcorn turns out perfect every time. Just put 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a large pot and allow it to melt. Sprinkle in 1/3 -1/2 cup of popcorn and cover. Periodically shake the pot so the kernels don’t burn. When it’s done popping, add whatever toppings you like and you’re ready to start your movie. The coconut oil adds a nice light flavor, similar to movie popcorn.
10. Coconut oil is a great replacement for vegetable oils if you are doing a sauté, and we use it in the pan for eggs.
11. A little coconut oil is yummy on toast.
12. A teaspoon of coconut oil thickens smoothies.
13. Coconut oil whitens teeth and is great for gums. (oil pulling)
14. Great lip moisturizer.
15. A tablespoon in a cup of tea can help soothe a sore throat.
The list goes on and on. I’ve generally used Trader Joe’s coconut oil because it’s available and a good price. Now you can buy it just about anywhere. You want to look for a brand that’s organic, unrefined, and virgin. For more great uses and information on the benefits of coconut oil, check out this link. draxe.com
What are some of the ways you use coconut oil?